compensation for products you purchase. Read our full Affiliate Disclosure here.
Welcome to #breakthrulinkup 26!
Although hula hooping has been popular for decades and history even suggests that it's been around for thousands of years, it's made a recent resurgence in the fitness world. With good reason - hooping has amazing health benefits and it's just good old-fashioned fun!
Now don't stop reading because you think you "can't hoop" or you're "too old" or you've "already tried and just can't do it."
Because YOU CAN DO THIS!! I'll be sharing a little personal testimony down below and, trust me: if I can do it - you can do it, too!
Hula-hooping is a fun and old-fashioned summertime activity to do with the kids.
Get your swing going together, burn a few calories (and you'd be surprised how many of those babies you can burn between laughing uproariously and bending down to pick it up as you're getting the hang of it...), and afterward, you're ready for a dip in the pool!
Now THAT's a summertime exercise program I can get into!
And just so you know it's worth it, here are some of the health benefits of hooping:
- Hooping burns fat. Large muscles of the body are engaged when hooping. This causes higher blood flow and increased heart rate. Your body will burn fat to fuel those muscles.
- Hooping burns calories. Research shows that hooping can burn as many calories as boot-camp classes, step aerobics, and cardio kickboxing! We're talkin' approximately 70 calories every 10 minutes. Hooping makes the body work hard for its oxygen, but it's low impact so that there's less chance of injury to your joints.
- Hooping increases your energy level. Because of the increased flow of blood to the brain, you'll feel an instant boost in your energy level. It's as reviving as a short nap. (Who doesn't need that?!)
- Hooping tones and shapes. The muscles in your thighs, rear, and abdomen are stretched from the pushing-pulling motion used to keep the hoop rotating. This will give strength and definition to those areas.
- Hooping promotes emotional well-being. Hooping just makes you feel good - plain & simple. Most of us haven't hooped in years so we're pulled from our "comfort zone" just from choosing to pick up the hoop to give it a try. Realizing that we can do this is an amazing feeling. And once your body becomes comfortable with keeping the hoop in motion, you'll be challenged to stretch yourself even further and learn to do new things with your hoop...like hoop dancing!
I decided to try my hand at hooping several years ago when I wanted to get in shape after battling (and conquering!) breast cancer. My body wasn't ready for the gym yet and I wanted a fun way to start getting back in shape that my kids and I could enjoy together.
Hula hooping was the perfect solution.
I encountered a slight problem, though...I couldn't keep the hula hoop going around my waist. At all. None. Not even one rotation. I figured out very quickly that the toy store hula hoop wasn't going to cut it! My adult body needed an adult sized hoop. Not being able to find one at any store in town and discouraged by the prices I encountered online, I decided to make my own.
With the right sized hoop and a little bit of practice this rhythmically-challenged, slightly older lady was a hooping maniac.
Don't have a hoop? Many athletic stores are now selling adult-sized hula hoops. And if you're a real fan of DIY, you could always make your own! The important thing? Start!
Get exercise, have fun, and make some special summer memories in the process...
'Cause it'll be here before you know it!
*This post, now slightly edited, initially appeared on PatAndCandy.com and was written by Candy Reid. It is linked up at PlaygroundParkbench.com - 30 Throwback Kids' Activities for Summer.
Homeschooling High school?
Join hundreds of other families who receive my weekly newsletter - Top-of-the-Week Breakthrough! Find inspiration and get equipped to:
- homeschool through high school
- get through the day
- reach your teen
- balance life and homeschooling!
And an instant Bonus, too: immediate access to special subscribers-only resources...
Let's continue on the journey together!
And now let's party...
Just a reminder...
- By linking up, you're agreeing to share up to 3 family-friendly posts, and visiting at least 2 other posts (just to be friendly-like!). Sharing here also gives us permission to use and share your photos and posts, giving you credit, of course.
- I love Pinterest, and if you include a pin-friendly photo, it'll make it easy-peasy for me to share your post there. (hint-hint).
- I appreciate your linking back to us in your post or on your blog. If you'd prefer an image, feel free to use my Breakthru Linkup button.